When do applications for the King & Amy O’Malley Trust scholarships close? 

The last Friday of July each year – In 2021, this will be Friday 30 July. *Note that you will be applying for a scholarship in the following calendar year, ie. 2022.

What kind of courses do the scholarships cover?

Students must undertake a course related to Home Economics – Teaching, Food Science, Nutrition and Dietetics, Child and Family Studies, Community Studies, Consumer Science, etc.

How much are the scholarships worth?

  • Undergraduate scholars receive $5,000 per year.
  • Full-time Postgraduate scholars receive$7,500 per year.
  • Part-time Postgraduate scholars receive $3,750 per year.

What do we look for in scholarship applicants?

Professional goals –

  • Clear career intentions to work in an educative and advocacy role for families and households
  • The potential to work in a leadership role and make a professional contribution to fields related to Home Economics
  • Broad and deep knowledge about Home Economics and its role in society
  • A current involvement in Home Economics or related professional associations

Academic potential –

  • High grades, normally Distinction average and having passed all subjects at the first attempt
  • A capacity for critical and analytical thinking
  • The potential to succeed academically at a high level

Personal attributes –

  • The persistence and motivation to achieve
  • Integrity, maturity and leadership qualities
  • An ethic of service
  • A commitment to inclusivity and social justice
  • Sensitivity in dealing with a range of people and issues
  • The ability to work collaboratively
  • Well-developed communication skills

What is the duration of the scholarship?

  • Undergraduate scholarships are awarded for one year, with the option to reapply annually for up to three additional years.
  • Postgraduate scholarships can be awarded for up to three years, without having to reapply each year, subject to satisfactory progress reports and agreement conditions.

How are the scholarships paid?

Scholars receive four equal payments throughout the year on receipt of an academic transcript and other documents.

Am I eligible for a King & Amy O’Malley Trust scholarship if I study part-time?

  • Undergraduate students must be in full-time study in order to be eligible for a scholarship.
  • Postgraduate students can receive the award if they are studying either full-time or part-time.

Can I apply if I wish to study overseas?

Yes, but scholars studying abroad are required to agree to return to Australia within 6 months of completing their program of study.

Can International students apply for the scholarship?

Citizens of other countries studying in Australia are required to provide evidence of their intention to remain permanent residents in Australia.  They should submit authenticated photocopies of the identification and visa pages from their passport showing their permanent residency status.

Are the scholarships subject to tax?

The Australian Taxation Office does not consider the scholarship as taxable income for students receiving full time education under sub-section 23(z) of the Income Tax Assessment Act 1997.

How many scholarships are awarded each year? 

Up to 30 Scholarships may be awarded annually nation-wide:  1 for the ACT and NT, 3 each for SA, TAS and WA, 5 for QLD and 7 each for NSW and VIC. These numbers can vary depending on the number and quality of the applications from each state.

Where can I study Home Economics? 

The Home Economics Institute of Australia (HEIA) has a list of Australian universities offering courses to become a home economist or home economics teacher here.

What careers are available in the field of Home Economics?

HEIA talks about working within the Home Economics profession here.

Where can I study Nutrition and Dietetics?

The Dieticians Association of Australia lists the courses available at Australian Universities here.

King & Amy O’Malley Trust awards annual undergraduate and postgraduate scholarships for students applying for or enrolled in tertiary Home Economics or equivalent programs, such as Consumer Science, Family and Consumer Studies.